Articles on this Page
- 01/28/07--14:14: _Literary Laff Riot ...
- 03/04/07--12:04: _Expozine Exposes th...
- 07/31/07--10:33: _How to Become a Fam...
- 08/21/07--18:23: _How to Enjoy Conven...
- 10/25/07--10:42: _Our New Twenty Year...
- 05/18/08--17:20: _Free Artsy Games Re...
- 07/17/10--09:48: _Roundsdoctors and H...
- 07/01/11--16:49: _David Malki ! and R...
- 07/24/12--10:08: _The Lo-fi Sci-fi Sa...
- 08/07/12--19:34: _Kirby is a Remix
- 01/28/07--14:14: Literary Laff Riot Set Free
- 03/04/07--12:04: Expozine Exposes the Antisocial Homosocial
- 07/31/07--10:33: How to Become a Famous Writer
- 08/21/07--18:23: How to Enjoy Conventions
- 10/25/07--10:42: Our New Twenty Year Collaborative Project
- 05/18/08--17:20: Free Artsy Games Released
- 07/17/10--09:48: Roundsdoctors and Hexslingers
- 07/01/11--16:49: David Malki ! and Ryan North Interview
- 07/24/12--10:08: The Lo-fi Sci-fi Salons
- 08/07/12--19:34: Kirby is a Remix
Mark Slutsky is an old friend and longtime collaborator — we’ve written screenplays together and he’s acted in shorts of mine — and his studio, Automatic Vaudeville, has recently released a hilarious comedy under a Creative Commons licence for free download. The Recommendations is a 55 minute mockumentary about the horrible violence bubbling just under [...]
Revolver #2, which consists of an excerpt of Salgood Sam and my upcoming graphic novel Therefore Repent!, has been nominated for the Expozine Alternative Press Award for best comic. It’s an offshoot of the awesome Montreal zine fair, one of the more successfully bilingual events I’ve been to. This is the second time they’ve done [...]
I’ve always prided myself on the fact that the DIY publishing articles on this site have a certain lack of, shall we say, bullshit. And normally, a book called How to Become a Famous Writer Before You’re Dead would smell a little funky to me. However, Ariel Gore, Hip Mama mag creator and indie culture [...]
Just coming down from the high of the Toronto Comic Arts Festival where we not only found an excited audience for our new graphic novel (we sold 90 copies in two days!) but I got to sit beside my favourite comic maker at the convention, Carla Speed McNeil — who, incidentally, I first heard about [...]
Although we’ve been prepping for it for the better part of a year, Susan and I began the project in earnest a week ago today: her name is Sidney Amelia Bustos Munroe, and she weighed in at 7 pounds, 14 ounces. It’s been going great, it’s a totally engrossing and fascinating process. Susan and I [...]
The second round of the Artsy Games Incubator went terrific: all five of us ended up with videogames you can download and play: check out Mouse Police, Bungee Fisher, Cupcake Challenge, Albacross, and my own Baby Runs This Mofo. It’s a good excuse to interview one of the founding sponsors of the AGI project, Jon [...]
Two recent book trades that I felt I got the better deal of — A Dream on Two Wheels and A Book of Tongues. Wheels is a smart and whimsical cyclist alternate reality written by Sarah A. Chrisman, who not only handmakes her books but also a selection of hats you can wear while reading [...]
I’ve recently been inspired by the amazing long-form interview WTF podcast to revive the Inspiring Creators Series here on No Media Kings. The thing I love about Mark Maron’s style is that he is the opposite of the objective reporter — he’s a confessional, personal, self-obsessed egomaniac, and you end up loving him for it. [...]
I’m involved with the new Lo-fi Sci-fi 48 Hour Film Challenge that’s happening at the end of August. In my role as Creative Director I’ve programmed four Lo-fi Sci-fi Salons in the run-up to the Challenge. Each Salon will be hosted by a different local filmmaker who will be showing some inspiring fantastical shorts and then [...]
Back when I knew him in Toronto, Kirby Ferguson was making dirty comedy shorts and directing a segment of my sci-fi flick Infest Wisely. Five years later, he’s doing Ted talks and raising 50K+ for his next video thinkpiece series. His Everything is a Remix series is to blame for his ascension from the gutter — it’s a [...]